The Seven Pillars of Truth for Healing from Post Abortion Trauma
“I would now like to say a special word to women who have had an abortion. The Church is aware of the many factors which may have influenced your decision. Certainly what happened was and remains terribly wrong. But do not give in to discouragement and do not lose hope. The Father of mercies is ready to give you His forgiveness and His peace in the Sacrament of Reconciliation.” (Blessed Pope John Paul II, The Gospel of Life).
1. God said, “Thou shalt not kill.” (Fifth Commandment).
2. Jesus said, “You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free!” (Jn. 8:32).
3. The truth is that your abortion was a sin.
4. You disobeyed God and killed your unborn child. But, God loves you! He is merciful and wants to forgive you, free you and grant you peace. Your child prays for you and also wants this for you.
5. You must confess to God (preferably through a priest, minister, rabbi or friend) that you sinned, say that you are sorry and ask forgiveness from God and promise with His help to never do it again.
6. Likewise, you must do the same to your dead child. You should give him or her a name, tell him or her that you are sorry for being responsible for the death, ask forgiveness, and pray that the child’s soul is saved and living with God in everlasting life.
7. Accept and believe in the forgiveness of God and your child, your reconciliation with them and your healing. Now forgive yourself. The truth has set you free!
For more information on healing from post abortion trauma, please read Dan Lynch’s novel, Teresita’s Choices with Foreword by Father Frank Pavone, National Director of Priests for Life.